Not all of us are dancing queens, and the thought of a room full of your closest family and friends can be somewhat daunting. With other aspects of your wedding taking centre stage, the planning of a staged routine, or the practising of a waltz is not at the top of everyone’s to-do list.
However, to get you and your partner ready for this big moment, when the DJ calls your name and asks for you to head to the dance floor, we can offer some advice. As the spotlight focuses on you both, we’re sure you will make your first dance one to remember.
- You don’t have to be a professional dancer to have a great time at your wedding.
- Your first dance should be approximately two and a half minutes, using the rest of the song for others to join you.
- Don’t overcomplicate it – the more natural it looks, the better it will be.
- Remember to choose a song that means something to you and your relationship.
- Save the music on your phone (just in case) and send it to the DJ before the wedding.
- Try not to criticise your partner as you both try your very best to make it special. Enjoy yourself and laugh about it.
- Try not to drink too much before your dance, just to be careful.
- Even if something wrong happens during the dance, just keep going and put on a big smile.
- It’s best to not look at your feet while dancing – believe it or not, it does help.
- Have a small button added to your dress during alterations so you can pin up the tail for the dance if it’s floor length.
- If you’re worried about your shoes falling off, buy clear elastic shoe bands to keep them in place.
- Consider buying dance shoes which match your dress, to offer a soft and comfortable look.
Most importantly, remember to enjoy yourself and take in every moment as you get a few minutes with just you and your husband. At Fleur de Lys Bridal, we can alter and adjust gowns to suit your wedding day plans with our expert seamstresses. You can find out more about our services by calling us on 01799 526982.